Prof. Aryeetey now member of UN University governing Council
2nd May 2016
Prof. Ernest Aryeetey of the University of Ghana has been appointed a member to the governing Council of the United Nations University (UNU).
Prof. Aryeetey is one of 12 members appointed by the United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Director-General Irina Bokova of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in accordance with Article IV of the United Nations University Charter.
In a statement attributable to the UN Secretary-General and issued in New York yesterday, the new appointees, will take office as of 3 May 2016. They will replace the retiring 2010–2016 cohort of UNU Council members and will serve for terms of either three or six years.
Prof. Aryeetey, like the other members of the UNU Council, will serve in his individual capacity on the Council. Members to the UNU Council are selected with the aim of achieving a geographic and gender balance, with due regard for major academic, scientific, educational and cultural trends, as well as each member’s fields of expertise
The main functions of the UNU Council are to formulate the principles and policies of the University, govern its operations, and consider and approve its biennial budget and work programme.
The 12 new members of the United Nations University Council are:
• Prof. Ernest Aryeetey (Ghana), Vice-Chancellor, University of Ghana
• Prof. Carlos Henrique de Brito Cruz (Brazil), Scientific Director, São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP), and Professor, Gleb Wataghin Physics Institute, State University of Campinas
• Prof. Simon Chesterman (Australia), Dean, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore
• Amb. Elizabeth Cousens (USA), Deputy Chief Executive Officer, United Nations Foundation
• Ms. Isabel Guerrero Pulgar (Chile), Director, IMAGO Global Grassroots, and lecturer at Harvard and MIT
• Mag. Dr. h.c. Angela Kane (Germany), Senior Fellow, Vienna Centre for Non-Proliferation and Disarmament, and Professor, SciencesPo, Paris
• Dr. Segenet Kelemu (Ethiopia), Director General and CEO, International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology
• Dr. Bassma Kodmani (Syria), Executive Director, Arab Reform Initiative
• Dr. Radha Kumar (India), Director General, Delhi Policy Group
• Prof. Irena Lipowicz (Poland), Professor, Cardinal Stefan Wyszyñski University (Warsaw)
• Prof. Tsuneo Nishida (Japan), Director, Institute for Peace Science, Hiroshima University, and Director, Toho Zinc Co., Ltd.
• Prof. Lan Xue (China), Dean, School of Public Policy and Management, Tsinghua University, and Director, China Institute for S&T Policy